Now with new 100 mile route option
8 significant climbs - many of them longer than usual on a sportive, 5 climbs over 2km long (5km+ for the longest) and all 8 gain around 100m or more (269m for the highest).
Notable/notorious climbs include Abbey-cwn-Hir, the Elan Valley and Glascwm - the leg-breaking 25% ramp just after 70 miles.
Interactive map - Ride with GPS
Epic 100 is a new, trial route option for 2018 - extend the 95
Legend 80 is a short cut route option - see separate page
|Unit||Max Grade||Max single climb||Longest hill||Total Gain|
|Imperial||1 in 4||882ft||3.3 miles||8,700ft|
1) B4355 - first hill comes after 13.5miles, takes you out of the valley to give you a first taste of the highlands:
2) David's Well - you'll hardly notice this long, gentle rise back up into the hills:
3) Abbey-cwm-Hir - first serious challenge, long and medium-steep - this is the start of the serious stuff:
4) Elan Valley - straight out of Rhayader and only for the Epic rider - the longest and highest mountain on the course:
5) Parkstile Ln - very steep initial ramp comes out of nowhere and can be mistaken for Glascwm:
6) Glascwm - you'll be climbing before you get to the base and then you'll see the 25% ramps going up to the horizon. Watch out for a hidden 25%er at the top:
7) B4594 - an anonymous climb out of Newchurch which will be hard if your legs have gone...
8) B4355 - long final climb before an equally long descent home to Knighton
Pictures from around the course on Flickr.com